Tuesday 9 November 2010

Banana French toast cupcakes.

It's been a busy week for me and I've been meaning to blog for a few days now but I've been away to the countryside, Where I was super excited to find a cupcake cafe on my travels (I just had to go in) It was Boyfriends birthday, I made Rocky road with my friend and her daughter then yesterday I made Banana French toast cupcakes.

I was browsing through a few of my favourite baking blogs the other day looking for inspiration when I came across a recipe for Banana french toast cupcakes with Maple butter cream on bake and destroys website, and I just had to make them. I love french toast, I love banana and I love maple syrup so I thought what's not to like. Plus they reminded me of another of my favourite deserts which is French donut toast with maple syrup.

The recipe on the site was a vegan recipe (which I un-veganed by using cows milk) so I was a little weary at first as I've never made a cupcake like that before but they worked out perfect, really airy and still moist. The butter cream however is definitely not vegan.

Anyway here they are: 

And here's how their made:
Recipe via Bake and Destroy

As the recipe was American the measurements are in cups, I had never measured like this before so just figured I use a normal cup and fill however much they say, and it worked fine.

1/2 cup mashed over ripe banana
1 & 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup of canola oil (They don't really sell this over here so I used sunflower oil)
2/3 cup of milk (soy or rice if making vegan)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
(Their recipe also called for 1/2 cup of chopped toasted walnuts but I left these out as I'm not a fan of walnuts)

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C, and line a cupcake pan with liners. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar into a bowl and mix well.
In another bowl whisk together the oil, milk, vanilla almond and banana, then stir this mix into the dry ingredients until all the ingredients are combined. (If adding walnuts fold these in now)
Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 20- 22 mins or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan for ten minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

And that's it for the cakes now onto the maple butter cream:

2 cups of icing sugar 
3/4 Cup of unsalted butter
2 1/2 tbsp of Maple syrup
few drops of milk (added a drop at a time until I got the right consistency)

Whip everything together then pipe generously on the cakes. I then sprinkled my cakes with crushed ginger biscuit.

And that's it, Nom nom nom!

I mentioned before about making Rocky road with my friend and her little girl well here that is too:

 I think Rocky road is the perfect thing to make with little kids as it requires no baking so you don't have to worry about hot ovens. So while I melted 400g of milk chocolate in a bowl over a pan of water my friend Nickie helped Alicia throw a big handful of mini marsh mellows into a bowl, followed by a big handful of raisins, some crushed up digestive biscuit a chopped up mars bar, some rice crispies and some chopped glace cherries. Then we poured in the melted chocolate, gave it all a big stir and poured it into a brownie tray lined with greaseproof paper, Alicia then decorated it with pretty sprinkles and we left it to set in the fridge. Then we gobbled it all hehehe!

So that's all for this week, but just before I go look at the super cute hair clip that Boyfriend bought me!

It's a cupcake! super cute huh!

Bye for now!

Cupcake Kris
xx

4 comments:

Nickie said...

Yay we get a mention!! i can verify the rocky road was indeed scrumptious!! Inspired me to make my own :) thanks Kris xx

cupcakegirl said...

Hehe Thanks! Alicia seemed to enjoy making and eating them too!

You should try the banana cupcakes too!

Anonymous said...

She definitely did! Ooh I will thanks!! I think I might try your cakepops one day they look amazing!!

cupcakegirl said...

They are really fun the cake pops but a bit fiddly - come to mine one day and we can make loads! and then eat all the evidence buahhahaha