Sunday 24 April 2011

Easter Baking: Cranberry and Orange Hot Cross Buns

Happy Easter everyone! Phew I'm nearly falling asleep writing this blog. I don't know what it is about sitting in the sun all day that makes you feel so tired. Maybe It's something to do with the copious amount of tasty food I've eaten today.

Today we had Boyfriends family over for a barbeque and discovered that his nan has never been to a BBQ before so it was a first! there was plenty of burgers, sausages, chicken and prawns, and then barbequed bananas with toffee sauce for after mmmmm nom!

as If that wasn't enough food I also made hot cross buns for everyone to take home and enjoy later for supper. I've just finished eating one toasted with butter and I enjoyed every last bite of it. I'm usually all about the cake but I'd been craving hot cross buns for a few days so I thought I'd make my own, and this is a really good recipe. I think It's definitely worth the effort over buying the shop bought ones and this way you can add the fruit you prefer. I'd been craving Cranberry and orange buns and it worked perfectly and made them a little different from the plain raisin.

Here's one:


And here's how they're made. (I got the original basic recipe from belleau kitchen and then adjusted it slightly to fit the flavours I wanted.)

Cranberry and Orange Hot Cross Buns.  

Makes 12

625g Strong white flour
1tsp Salt
2tsp Mixed Spice
45g Butter
85g Caster Sugar
Zest of 1 large Orange
2 tsp easy blend yeast
1 large egg
10floz Tepid milk (heat for a few seconds in the microwave)
100g Dried Cranberries
50g Raisins

For the cross & Glaze

2 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Water
1 tbsp Golden syrup - heated.

Mix the flour, salt and mixed spice in a large bowl then rub in the butter until you have a sandy consistency and add the sugar, orange zest and yeast. Beat the egg into the milk and add to the flour mixture, bring the mixture together to form a soft dough.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead whilst sprinkling in the dried fruit in batches. Knead for about 5 minutes.

Place the dough ball in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place to prove for 1 hour.

After an hour knock back the dough and knead for 1 minute. Place back in the bowl, cover again and put back in a warm place for 30 minutes.

Once the dough has doubled in size divide into 12 balls, flatten slightly and place on greased baking trays. Pre-heat the oven to 240deg C. Place the trays in large plastic bags and tie the bags at the end. leave to rise for a further 40 minutes.

For the cross combine the flour and water to form a thick paste and pipe crosses onto the buns:




Bake the buns in the oven for 8 - 12 minutes until a dark golden colour then brush with warm syrup straight from the oven.

Once cooled enjoy the buns toasted and buttered with a nice cup of tea. Mmmm a tasty Easter treat. Why not make some this bank holiday.

Cupcake Kris
 xxx

This post has been linked up to sweet as sugar cookies

1 comment:

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef said...

I've never made hot cross buns. These look delicious!