Monday 17 October 2011

Oreo cupcakes with fresh cream frosting

I went Go Karting with my friends last week and was far too busy making all of them eat my dust to blog. I was surprised as anyone that I actually did really well and won especially considering I'm the non-driver of the group.

So any way this blog is a little delayed as I made these cupcakes a few weeks back when I was popping round to visit a friend. Have I mentioned how cupcakes are demanded by my friends at every gathering even just going to someones house. I was requested to make the raspberry and white chocolate cupcakes for go karting, and this time I topped each one with a raspberry as well as a square of white chocolate. Well for this gathering at my fabulous friends Jen and Chris's house I made a cupcake that has been on my to do list for months, Oreo cupcakes. And here they are:


If your wondering why the two in the middle don't have Oreo's on well that's because they were made for two of my friends each with a special message written on top one says screw work and the other says don't crash as one friend had just passed her driving test (I have an odd sense of humor) I do love my new letter sprinkles.


and here's how they're made, recipe adapted from one by 'Baking Made Easy' author Lorraine Pascale.

Oreo cupcakes

150g Butter
150g Caster sugar
3 Eggs
150g Plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 to 1 Pack of Oreo biscuits

Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with cases. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs one by one, beating together after each addition.

Add the flour baking powder and salt and mix. Crush up the Oreos and fold these into the mixture.

Divide between 12 cases and bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until risen, golden and baked trough.

And that's it for the cakes. I really love this recipe, the cakes are light and you get a really nice taste of the cookies coming though and I love way they look all speckled with crushed up cookie. Most of the recipes I found for Oreo cookies just involved a plain chocolate cupcake with a whole Oreo baked inside so this one seemed a little different. Here they are out of the oven without frosting:


And now for the frosting, the Lorraine Pascale recipe called for butter cream however I wanted more of a cookies and cream taste so I went for fresh cream frosting, recipe adapted via Bakergirl's Blog

1 3/4 cups whipping cream
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons Oreo cookies, finely crushed

Whip all the ingredients together until the cream stiffens, pipe onto cakes and then decorate with Oreos. These are definitely my new favorite I could just eat the cream alone and really do prefer that to the Butter icing on these cakes.




And that's it!

Any way that's all for now but before I go just one more think, I said before how I love me some alphabet sprinkles, now I know they are just meant to be sprinkled over cakes but I just cant help spelling things out on my cupcakes, like so:



Any way until next time

Cupcake Kris xx

9 comments:

Littlewillow said...

Mmm they look really yummy :) I've been wanting to make oreo cupcakes for a while now, maybe this will be the excuse I need haha. Oooh I've just bought those alphabet sprinkles too and can't wait to try them out, they look fun!

Zoe said...

These are definitely a must-bake for Oreo fans! There is so much Oreo in each and every cupcake...Yummy!

Baking Addict said...

Oreo cupcakes are my fav and definitely a popular request. I must try this recipe though. I love your alphabet sprinkles - where did you get them from?
Congratulations on winning the go karting!

Jo said...

Yummy! I still haven't tried making Oreo cupcakes. I much prefer your idea of crumbling them into the batter rather than jamming a whole one at the bottom of the case.

Catalina said...

These cupcakes are absolutely amazing, I swear! My sister would love them because she's crazy about Oreos :D Really beautiful!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

These look delicious. We are Oreo crazy at my house so these would be appreciated.

Paula said...

These look very impressive...cant beat cookies and cream! :)

Anonymous said...

did u use a hand mixer or stand mixer? i need to know when to stop mixing. thank you. i havent made them in a long time.and everybody loved it.

Mette said...

This is the best oreo cupcakes yet!
Easy to make, taste like heaven. Thank you!