Sunday, 15 April 2012

A Very Flowery Birthday Cake

Wow I can't believe I haven't blogged in nearly 3 weeks. It's not from the lack of baking either. I've been busy over Easter making creme egg Easter chicks for friends (featured in the last post) and a big Victoria sponge for a BBQ as well as numerous hot cross buns. I used the same recipe as last year, which can be found here. However some I just used mixed dried fruit for rather than cranberry and orange. I also used the dough for a bath of 12 and made a hot cross bun loaf instead. Unfortunately as my friends and family rather like hot cross buns they had all gone before I realised I hadn't even taken a picture.

I also had an order for a carrot cake for Easter Saturday, I used this recipe. However I did take a picture of one cake I made recently. I had an order for a 30th Birthday cake for a girl. I was told she liked flowers but not really pink and it had to have Happy 30th Emma on it and this is what I came up with: 


The base is a basic Victoria sponge base with vanilla butter cream in 3 layers. 

I was quite happy with it, however I still think I need quite a bit more practise on levelling and icing the cake, I could really do with some better equipment of taking a class but it's just finding the time. Plus I much prefer making smaller cakes or naked un iced cakes any way but that's more for home baking I suppose.  

Well no recipe for today as I haven't made anything I haven't posted before, I do currently have a German sourdough friendship cake in the process. I was given a starter and some instructions by a friend and everyday you stir the mixture, adding milk flour and sugar every few days and then after 10 days you split the mixture into 4, use a quarter to follow the recipe and make the cake and give the other 3 batches to friends with the instructions to start the process again. Its currently sitting on my worktop half way through the process, so I hope it's successful and that I manage to think of who to give the other 3 batches too. It's good the way it carries on, it's like the cake that never ends! 

Lastly I just want to point out I've now put a little search bar in the left hand corner of the screen so you can search previous recipes I have posted. 

Any way I will post a picture of my friendship cake when it's done until then 

bye for now 

Cupcake Kris xxx 


Baking Addict said...

Gorgeous cake! I'm sure the birthday girl was very pleased and impressed. I don't think you need classes as this looks amazing already!

Jo said...

I think your cake looks great, nothing wrong with it at all.

I've made a couple of german sourdough cakes this year and they were so tasty! I recommend adding pecans and apples to it :)

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef said...

Wow! I wish I had the skills to make a cake that pretty! Great job!