Sunday 6 March 2011

Chocolate and Peanut Butter High-Hat Cupcakes.

I'm a happy bunny today because not only did I get a pretty new pink mixing bowl but I also finally got round to making High-hat cupcakes, and they didn't turn out the complete disaster that I feared they would.

They didn't look as good as I'd hoped but for a first attempt they will suffice. However the taste made up for the slightly sloppy appearance. I mean how do you make a cupcake better... that's right! Dip it in chocolate!

Here they are:







And in the middle: Peanut butter frosting:



First I started out with some basic chocolate cupcakes. I did my usual trick of bumping into the oven and accidentally turning it up - go me. Good job I noticed in time and turned it down before they burnt. You can find the recipe for them here.

Then to make the peanut butter frosting I blended

40g Butter
A big heaped tablespoon of smooth peanut butter
30ml Milk
250g Icing Sugar

Then pipe this on top of your cooled cakes. Now the important bit. Put the frosted cakes in the freezer to chill. this will help keep the icing in one piece and attached to the cake when dipping. (I learnt the hard way not to be impatient with this stage)

Whilst the cakes are in the freezer melt some chocolate in a bowl over a pan of water (I used about 300g chocolate and this was enough for 6 cakes.) Then pour the melted chocolate into something deep enough to dip the icing. I used a wide brimmed hi-ball glass. leave this to cool for a little bit so the chocolate doesn't instantly melt the icing. I found the chocolate I used (it wasn't the best quality chocolate) was a little thick so I used a teaspoon of milk to thin it a little.

Then comes the nerve wracking bit. Take a cupcake, and holding it upside down dip it in the chocolate and lift out. Twist the cake so any excess chocolate dips off and then leave to chill till the chocolate sets.

I really wish I would have got boyfriend to take pictures of the cake being dipped but I was to busy panicking everything would go wrong.

I also made some diddy tiny versions, I don't know why everything is just cuter tiny!

These are really tiny and just one bite worth.

When I ran out of peanut butter frosting I frosted some cakes with chocolate butter cream then drizzled some with caramel coloured white chocolate and dipped some in it. The white chocolate was a bit thicker so slightly smooshed the icing down as it coated it.




Ok so confession, the chocolate wasn't meant to be caramel coloured it was originally plain white but I spilled a tiny bit of cocoa powder in it. Ooops! I don't have a picture of these cut in half as I'm saving them for tomorrow. 

And that's it! Not the highest or neatest of high hat cupcakes but the taste definitely makes up for it. The peanut butter frosted ones work perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate and the slightly salty peanut butter taste of the frosting. I think they are boyfriends new favorite and I'm definitely going to be trying them again to see if I can improve.




I've linked this post up to a great blog that lets bloggers post all their yummy sweet treats they've made this week if your ever looking for hundreds of ideas for cakes just look here 
Any way that's it for now.

Keep baking

Cupcake Kris

xxx


20 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ooh they look lovely!
Don't know why but I kept reading high FAT cupcakes!! Lol.

cupcakegirl said...

Hahaha well tey are certainly that too!

Littlewillow said...

Wow, they look amazing! I think the white chocolate icing looks really good that caramel-y colour, makes them look peanut butter coloured! It's a shame I don't like peanut butter... :-(

cupcakegirl said...

Little Willow I don'y like peanut butter either but seriously try mixing it with sugar and butter. So nice. I cant stand the stuff straight from the jar but in icing I love it

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I think they look darn right delicious. Peanut butter and chocolate are such a good combination, sort of like a Reece's Cup Candy. I also love the polka dot plate they are sitting on.

Caroline Hallett said...

Yummy - look fantastic x

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! I love the chocolate dipped icing!

Cindy said...

I have yet to attempt High Hat Cup Cakes--they do look delish. Good job.

Hannah said...

I think I could eat five of these right now. They look AMAZING!

Powertips said...

Indulge!! this is so yummy!

Manu said...

Love peanuts butter anch chocolate! these cupcakes look delicious, and beautiful too! LOL

Choclette said...

These look fab and your a braver girl than I am, but looks as though it paid off big time. The peanut butter frosting sounds good too.

Chele said...

I see no sloppy apperance at all, they look excellent. I've been meaning to have a go at making cupckaes like this too but have always put it off, I do believe you have inspired me to move them up to (near!) the top of my must bake list ;0)

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef said...

I've been wanting to make these but am scared that I would make duds. I think I am brave enough to do it since you were happy enough with your results. Really, isn't it all about taste anyway?

cupcakegirl said...

You should definitley all try them. Even though it was slightly scary making them Im definitley going to attempt them again and improve. I also have now found a tip of adding 2 tbs of veg oil to the chocolate when melting.

And beyond my kitchen window - the little ones tasted just like resses cups with cake

Catalina said...

I think they're very pretty, maybe too pretty to be eaten :) I love the thick layer of chocolate and peanut butter cream? Must have been the seventh heaven!

Joyti said...

So cute. They're like a cupcake version of Reeses'...but I bet they're more delicious.

La Bella Cooks said...

I think these turned out beautifully! Congrats on the new pink mixing bowl. Getting new kitchen gadgets is almost as fun as cupcakes!

grace said...

for a high-hat debut, i'm pretty impressed! chocolate and peanut butter always win. :)

Sugar Plum Cupcake said...

They look lovely, chocolate and peanut butter are so good together!

<3